Parent Carers Together are unable to give advice but we can signpost you to services.
Returning/Transitioning to School:
- Secondary Schools Transition Document BCP Council have created the document to support Primary to Secondary School Transition.
- SENDiass4BCP Guide 'Returning to Education in September'
- Guidance for BCP Parents and Carers September - A document by BCP Council for parents and carers on what to expect and how to prepare their child for increased contact with school and re-opening in September.
- BCP Council 'Information on the return to school for children and young people with SEND - 21 August 2020'
- SENDiass4BCP 'Home to School Transport from September 2020-COVID 19' If anyone has any concerns about their child’s transport arrangements (once they have been confirmed via letter or email), BCP Council suggests contacting Transport first to try to resolve the situation via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parent Concerns re:School Transport - SEND Parent/Carer representatives (including Parent Carers Together) raised some concerns to BCP Council in regards to school transport. These have been addressed in this document
- Nip in the Bud 'Tips for Returning to School' - An eight minute video which provides straightforward, important suggestions for parents and teachers to deal with any potential anxiety children may experience on returning to school.
- Sai Training Team 'Transition Back to Term Time' This document explores things to think about during this period of transition including the importance of sleep, morning and evening routines, making time for fun and making time for self care
- Sai Training Team 'It's Time to go Back to School' This document includes some coping activities children may want to try when they are feeling like a Sleepy Sue or a Fired up Frieda.
- Books Beyond Words 'Lenny and Lily Return to School' a book to help children understand and prepare for the changes and challenges of going back to school.
- A Recorded Webinar by Contact 'Back to School Top Tips' (watch via YouTube)- Educational Psychologists Jemma and Scott who shared techniques to help you manage your child's return to school
- 'Chapter One- Back to Basics'- a four minute video on YouTube by Dorset Mental Health Support Teams in Schools
- Letter from SEND Minister, Vicky Ford -supporting children & young people with SEND to return to school.In the letter (dated 2nd September), Minster Ford addresses a number of concerns parents and children may have in regards to behaviour policies, off-rolling, face coverings and mental health and well-being.
- Top Tips to Return to School- from members of Parent Carers Together
School Related Information:
- Which School? for special needs 2020/2021 guide The guide features profiles of more than 40 special schools across the UK and has a directory of all independent special schools.
- National Statistics of Permanent and fixed-period exclusions in England: 2018 to 2019 It includes levels of permanent and fixed-period exclusions by school type, including information on reasons for exclusions.
- ‘Development of Specialist Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Satellites and Resource Bases – 9 September 2020’ an article from an edition of the BCP Council Family Information News.
Preparing for Adulthood (PfA)
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Decision Making Toolkit
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Team Adult Social Care
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Development Plan
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Annual Review Toolkit
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Fact sheet The Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Supported Decision Making
- 1:1 virtual 30 minute Preparing for Adulthood session -23 September 2020 9am-12.30pm or 19 October 2020 1-4.30pm
- Contact- Preparing for Adultlife Information with advice on benefits post 18, education and work options and independent living.
Access To Work
Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work) -from gov.uk website
- Department for Work and Pensions 'Access to Work: Factsheet for Customers' including information about claiming Access to Work during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Lasting Power of Attorney, Wills and Deputyships
- Department of Health- Easy Read Fact sheet 'People Making Decisions for you'
- Deputyships for Vulnerable People (provided by Rutters Solicitors)
- Wills and Trusts for Vulnerable People (provided by Rutters Solicitors)
This is a free, confidential and impartial service for children and young people with SEND who live across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole and their parents or carers.
-Phone 01202 451970 (if you live in Bournemouth or Christchurch) or phone 01202 261933 (if you live in Poole).
-Email - email@example.com
CRISP (Carers Resource Information and Support)
CRISP supports family/unpaid carers looking after someone who would not be able to manage without their support. They also provide a carers discount card to help you get money off local services and suppliers
-Phone: 01202 458204
Young carers aged under 18, can contact BCP Council's Early Help Team for support.
-Phone: 01202 262626
SEND Local Offer & Add on Register
Every council should have a local offer.
The BCP Council SEND Local Offer provides information and guidance on local services and activities for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
The Add-On register is a voluntary register held by BCP Council of children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) living in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole. Benefits of joining the add on register include a free discount card (MAX card) and regular newsletter updates.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information and Resources
- Parent Carers Together cover letter and list of useful national and local resources
- Information about Contact (The Council for Disabled Children), Information from BCP SENDiass
- Gov. Uk -COVID-19 Guidance on Social Distancing and Vulnerable People (click here to view document in different languages)
- Youtube Video - 'Supporting Neurodiverse Children in Challenging Times such as during Self Isolation'
- Be-Human - The page has been set up for people and families to share useful links, practical tips and ideas that people who manage their direct payments have put in place for themselves and their PA’s
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'Beating the Virus'
- Youtube Audio of the Beyond Words Booklet -'Beating the Virus' including a hand-washing rap video embedded from the Purple All Stars.
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'Jack plans ahead-a guide for families and carers'
- Beyond Words Booklet - 'Good days and bad days during Lockdown'
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'When someone dies from Coronavirus- a guide for families and carers'
- 10 tips to help if you are worried about Coronavirus (NHS website)
- Visual Signs/PECS Images from Include 'In' Autism Pandemic Coronavirus ( includes Coronavirus symptoms, social distancing, handwashing)
- COVID-19 Direct Response Service
By completing a form, WellChild COVID-19 Direct Response Service will try and help you get the things you need including: access to food delivery service, prescription collection and delivery of Personal Protective Equipment for your care team e.g handwash, alcohol gel, gloves, aprons, etc.
- Together We Can- BCP Council Helpline and online information for vulnerable local people.
- Online Food Shopping for Families with Disabled Children- (information from Contact)
- BCP Educational Psychologist Service Telephone Consultation Line Information Poster
- Education Health and Care Plans: Guidance on temporary legislative changes relating to COVID-19 -May 2020, Department of Education
- "Coronavirus-a book for children" illustrated by Axel Scheffler
- Sparklers at Home website - helping kids through activities to learn to understand and manage their emotions, build their self-esteem, make (and be!) good friends and long-term, understand all about their wellbeing.
- Safe Hands Thinking Minds website- resources to support children and adults around anxiety, worry, stress, and fears; including specifically Covid-19
- Translators without Borders - COVID-19 Translated Words Glossary The glossary translates 186 words and/or phrases associated with COVID-19 into 35 different languages and also provides a definition of each term.
- Books Beyond Words 'Lenny and Lily in Lockdown' The story explores Lenny and Lily’s experiences of loss and change in the days of the lockdown, how they develop ways of maintaining their friendship, the challenges of learning at home and the range of emotions they each experience.
- A letter to BCP SEND parent and carers written by the Parent Carers Together Steering Group members to tell parents what we have been doing since the start of the pandemic to support BCP SEND families