*Parent Carers Together are unable to give advice but we can signpost you to services*
- SEND Acronyms List Document
- Parent Journeys
- Signposting Document for Parents and Carers complied by NHS Dorset Healthcare Trust (July 2021)
School Related Information
Returning/Transitioning/Travelling to School:
BCP Case Officer Information The list of BCP EHCP Case Officers and the schools for whom they are the link officer for can be found on the BCP Local Offer website.
- Secondary Schools Transition Document BCP Council have created the document to support Primary to Secondary School Transition.
- SENDiass4BCP 'Home to School Transport from September 2020-COVID 19' If anyone has any concerns about their child’s transport arrangements, BCP Council suggest contacting Transport to try to resolve the situation via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- BCP SEN Travel Application Form- To apply for transport support to enable your child to get to and from school.
- Parent Concerns re:School Transport - SEND Parent/Carer representatives (including Parent Carers Together) raised some concerns to BCP Council in regards to school transport. These have been addressed in this document
- Nip in the Bud 'Tips for Returning to School' - An eight minute video which provides straightforward, important suggestions for parents and teachers to deal with any potential anxiety children may experience on returning to school.
- Sai Training Team 'Transition Back to Term Time' This document explores things to think about during this period of transition including the importance of sleep, morning and evening routines, making time for fun and making time for self care
- Sai Training Team 'It's Time to go Back to School' This document includes some coping activities children may want to try when they are feeling like a Sleepy Sue or a Fired up Frieda.
- Books Beyond Words 'Lenny and Lily Return to School' a book to help children understand and prepare for the changes and challenges of going back to school.
- A Recorded Webinar by Contact 'Back to School Top Tips' (watch via YouTube)- Educational Psychologists Jemma and Scott who shared techniques to help you manage your child's return to school
- 'Chapter One- Back to Basics'- a four minute video on YouTube by Dorset Mental Health Support Teams in Schools
- Top Tips to Return to School- from members of Parent Carers Together
School Related Information:
- Which School? for special needs 2020/2021 guide The guide features profiles of more than 40 special schools across the UK and has a directory of all independent special schools.
- ‘Development of Specialist Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Satellites and Resource Bases – 9 September 2020’ an article from an edition of the BCP Council Family Information News.
Preparing for Adulthood (PfA)
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Decision Making Toolkit
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Team Adult Social Care
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Development Plan
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Annual Review Toolkit
- BCP SEND Local Offer- PfA Fact sheet The Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Supported Decision Making
- Contact- Preparing for Adultlife Information with advice on benefits post 18, education and work options and independent living.
Access To Work
Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work) -from gov.uk website
- Department for Work and Pensions 'Access to Work: Factsheet for Customers' including information about claiming Access to Work during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Lasting Power of Attorney, Wills and Deputyships
- Department of Health- Easy Read Fact sheet 'People Making Decisions for you'
- Deputyships for Vulnerable People (provided by Rutters Solicitors)
- Wills and Trusts for Vulnerable People (provided by Rutters Solicitors)
- What is a carers assessment and how to request one? Information from Contact's website
This is a free, confidential and impartial service for children and young people with SEND who live across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole and their parents or carers.
-Advice Line 01202 128181 which will be open for advice between 9:30am – 12:30pm, Monday to Thursday.
-Email - email@example.com
CRISP (Carers Resource Information and Support)
CRISP supports family/unpaid carers looking after someone who would not be able to manage without their support. They also provide a carers discount card to help you get money off local services and suppliers
-Phone: 01202 128787
Mental Health Support
Dorset Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
Information about Mental Health Support Teams (MHST) in Schools-Dorset CAMHS
Connection is a 24/7 phone helpline for people of all ages in Dorset who are experiencing mental health issues and need support. You do not need to be known by mental health services, and can also phone for support and advice about a friend or family member experiencing poor mental health.
Call 111 and select 'mental health' or dial 0800 652 0190 to access support as part of the Dorset Crisis Response Service. Staff are trained to support anyone who calls, regardless of the level of mental health crisis, and can signpost you to the most appropriate service which meets your needs.
Young Minds (national charity)
Young carers aged under 18, can contact BCP Council's Early Help Team for support.
-Phone: 01202 262626
SEND Local Offer
Every council should have a local offer.
The BCP Council SEND Local Offer provides information and guidance on local services and activities for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
There is a voluntary register held by BCP Council of children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) living in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole. The benefits of parents and carers joining the register include a free discount card (MAX card) and regular newsletter updates.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information and Resources
- Parent Carers Together cover letter and list of useful national and local resources
- Information about Contact (The Council for Disabled Children), Information from BCP SENDiass
- Youtube Video - 'Supporting Neurodiverse Children in Challenging Times such as during Self Isolation'
- Be-Human - The page has been set up for people and families to share useful links, practical tips and ideas that people who manage their direct payments have put in place for themselves and their PA’s
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'Beating the Virus'
- Youtube Audio of the Beyond Words Booklet -'Beating the Virus' including a hand-washing rap video embedded from the Purple All Stars.
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'Jack plans ahead-a guide for families and carers'
- Beyond Words Booklet - 'Good days and bad days during Lockdown'
- Beyond Words Booklet- 'When someone dies from Coronavirus- a guide for families and carers'
- 10 tips to help if you are worried about Coronavirus (NHS website)
- Visual Signs/PECS Images from Include 'In' Autism Pandemic Coronavirus ( includes Coronavirus symptoms, social distancing, handwashing)
- COVID-19 Direct Response Service
By completing a form, WellChild COVID-19 Direct Response Service will try and help you get the things you need including: access to food delivery service, prescription collection and delivery of Personal Protective Equipment for your care team e.g handwash, alcohol gel, gloves, aprons, etc.
- Together We Can- BCP Council Helpline and online information for vulnerable local people.
- Online Food Shopping for Families with Disabled Children- (information from Contact)
- BCP Educational Psychologist Service Telephone Consultation Line Information Poster
- "Coronavirus-a book for children" illustrated by Axel Scheffler
- Sparklers at Home website - helping kids through activities to learn to understand and manage their emotions, build their self-esteem, make (and be!) good friends and long-term, understand all about their wellbeing.
- Safe Hands Thinking Minds website- resources to support children and adults around anxiety, worry, stress, and fears; including specifically Covid-19
- Translators without Borders - COVID-19 Translated Words Glossary The glossary translates 186 words and/or phrases associated with COVID-19 into 35 different languages and also provides a definition of each term.
- Books Beyond Words 'Lenny and Lily in Lockdown' The story explores Lenny and Lily’s experiences of loss and change in the days of the lockdown, how they develop ways of maintaining their friendship, the challenges of learning at home and the range of emotions they each experience.
- A letter to BCP SEND parent and carers written by the Parent Carers Together Steering Group members to tell parents what we have been doing since the start of the pandemic to support BCP SEND families
- Coping with Covid- (October 2020) An animation by Respond in collaboration with families with lived experience to help other families get through this unprecedented time.
- 'Provision for children with SEND lockdown 3.0' - A short PowerPoint presentation by Hampshire SENDiass (sharing with permission)
- Books Beyond Words 'Having a Vaccine for Coronavirus' -A wordless story to help people think about the vaccine and what having the vaccine will mean